We all know that keeping our homes clean is important, but what about the bathroom? Did you know that your bathroom rugs are actually one of the most neglected areas in your home? Even the most experienced people tend to avoid this task.
This is a big mistake most of us make. Bathroom rugs are an important part of any bathroom, so it’s important to make sure they’re clean and looking their best.
But Nobody wants to spend hours cleaning their bathroom rugs. But, they do need a good scrubbing! What to do now? How to clean bathroom rugs?
We are here with the right cleaning solution. We will tell you a simple method of cleaning bathroom rugs. Cleaning the rugs regularly can increase the lifespan of the rug than their original duration.
Here’s a quick guide on how to clean bathroom rugs and what products to use.
- 1 How to Clean Bathroom Rugs
- 2 Bathroom Rug Washing Tips and Care
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Are Bathroom Rugs Machine Washable?
- 5 How Often Should You Wash Your Bathroom Rugs?
- 6 Can You Vacuum Bathroom Rugs?
- 7 How Do I Keep My Bathroom Rug Dry?
- 8 Can You Dry Bathroom Rugs in The Dryer?
- 9 Conclusion
How to Clean Bathroom Rugs
Bathroom rugs are one of the main sources of dirt in your house. They can also get really dirty very quickly, and sometimes even when you don’t use them. So cleaning it is essential.
Use Your Washing Machine
- First thing will be checking the label of the rugs. Ensure the rug is machine washable. Then start the cleaning process. Take it outside and shake gently to remove the dirt, particles, and other debris.
- If there is any stain on the rug, clean it first. Make a thick paste of baking soda and vinegar, apply it on the stain and leave it for fifteen minutes. Meantime the solution will absorb that moisture and clean the stain.
- Open the washing machine, fill it with cold water. Put the rug in the machine along with some same fabrics, it will keep the washing machine balanced.
- Add laundry detergent as per need. Avoid using bleach and any harsh chemical. Set the speed in lower mode, high heat can damage the rubber backing.
- Turn on the washing machine and run gently. Remove the bathroom rug immediately when the washing machine stops. Roll the rug and squeeze it to remove excess water. Now give a gentle shake and hang it outside to dry. You can dry it in direct sunlight or by using a blower fan, as your wish. But avoid using any heating equipment like a hair dryer.
Hand-Wash Your Bathroom Rugs
There are some bathroom rugs that aren’t machine washable, but you don’t need to worry about them. You can hand wash bathroom rugs, it’s simple. Let’s know the process.
- Take it outside in the yard, shake gently to remove the dirt and debris. Don’t need to use any stick or something hard, shake gently with your hand.
- Vacuum clean the rug with higher suction power. Avoid using a beater brush. Vacuum cleaner with upholstery attachment will be good, but not a problem, you can avoid vacuuming also.
- Make a solution of mild detergent and warm water. Take a gallon of warm water, and three tablespoons of mild detergent. Avoid using bleach, use a little oxygenated bleach that is harmless. If there are any signs of mold and mildew, add half cup of borax powder.
- Dip the rug in the solution for half an hour. Bring out from the bucket and lay it over the floor. Take a soft bristle brush, scrub a little in circular motion. Keep scrubing until the rug is saturated with the solution. Be gentle, never scrub harshly. Rinse away with cold water several times until the slippy residue is gone.
- Squeeze the rug, remove all the excess water, shake a little and hang it outside in direct sunlight. It will dry soon. If you can’t dry in sunlight, place it in a drying rack and turn on the fan. Never leave it damp for a long time, it can cause mold and bad odors.
Bathroom Rug Washing Tips and Care
- Dry the rug after a few hours every day. Don’t let it be damp. Take it outside and dry it under direct sunlight. Sunlight will kill the bacteria and germs.
- Clean them at least once a week, if the rug doesn’t get wet too much daily, deep cleaning them twice a month is also good.
- Never use harsh chemicals or bleach to clean the rug, always use mild detergent.
- Use soft bristle brush, and scrub gently.
- Avoid using any heating machine to dry the rug, heat can melt the rug back. Dry it in sunlight or with a fan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Bathroom Rugs Machine Washable?
Yes and no both. Some bathroom rugs are machine washable and some not. To know if your rug is machine washable or not, see the label come with the rug.
If the lebel mentions you can machine wash the rug, yes you can do it, and if not, you have to hand wash it.
How Often Should You Wash Your Bathroom Rugs?
There is no one answer to this question as it depends on the type of rug, the size of the rug, and how often you use the rug.
However, you should wash your bathroom rugs at least once a week. But if you don’t use it regularly, cleaning every two to four weeks is okay.
Can You Vacuum Bathroom Rugs?
Yes, you can vacuum the bathroom rugs. But it depends on the type of vacuum cleaner you have and the rug. Some vacuums are designed specifically for bathroom rugs, while others may not handle the weight.
In general, it is best to consult your vacuum cleaner’s manual before attempting to vacuum a rug.
How Do I Keep My Bathroom Rug Dry?
There are a few things you can do to keep your bathroom rug dry.
First, make sure that you are using the right type of rug. Rugs made from synthetic materials are not as absorbent and will quickly become wet. Instead, opt for rugs made from natural materials such as cotton or wool.
Second, make sure that you are cleaning your rug regularly. Cleaning it regularly will help remove any dirt, dust, or debris that may be contributing to its wetness.
Finally, try placing a layer of newspapers on the floor beneath your bathroom rug to help trap moisture and prevent the rug from becoming damp.
Can You Dry Bathroom Rugs in The Dryer?
Yes, you can dry bathroom rugs in the dryer. However, it is important to follow these guidelines to ensure that your rug is safe and doesn’t come into contact with any sparks or heat:
1. Preheat the dryer before adding the rug.
2. Remove any flammable items from the area where the rug will be drying.
3. Place the rug in a single layer on top of the clothes inside the dryer.
4. Close the door of the dryer and turn it on to its lowest heat setting.
5. Allow the rug to air-dry for at least two hours, or until it is completely dried out.
Cleaning your bathroom rug is important because it’s one of the most common places where bacteria builds up and causes an unpleasant odor.
That’s why it’s best to clean this regularly, especially if you have kids who are prone to getting sick! If you don’t want to spend a lot of time on this task, you can follow the method we shared above on how to clean bathroom rugs.
You can also check out the tips we have given to keep your bathroom rug clean and increase its lifespan.
Count on us to make your home more beautiful by following our cleaning tips on several options.